IFS Logistics is a standard for auditing all logistics activities for food and non-food products, such as transport, storage, distribution, loading and unloading, etc. It applies to all types of activities also including delivery by road, rail or ship, of frozen/refrigerated products or such products without cooling.
The objectives of the IFS Logistics are:
- To ensure compatability and transparency throughout the entire supply chain
- To establish a common standard with uniform evaluation systems
- To reduce costs and time for both suppliers and retailers
- To work with accredited Certifi cation Bodies
What does the standard cover?
IFS Logistics is a standard for companies, offering logistics services like transport and storage.
It concerns logistics activities where companies have physical contact with
already pre-packaged products that undertake the following activities:
- Packaging of pre-packed food products
- Storage and/or distribution
IFS Logistics concerns food and non-food products. The standard is applicable
for packed and also for loose food products and products under regulated temperature (e.g. meat, bread, milk, oil etc.).
The product is loose, but there is neither processing activity nor primary packaging activity. For companies with additional trading activities a combination audit with the IFS Broker is possible.
Benefits of the scheme
IFS certification can offer a number of key benefi ts to companies striving for
excellence in quality and customer satisfaction, and seeking a competitive
advantage in their marketplace:
Purchasing Department Benefits:
- Improved confidence in suppliers and products
- Reduced time spent on supplier screening
- Less time spent reworking or returning products outside specification
- Due diligence defense
- Ability to reduce individual audit costs by combining a variety of different audits at the same time.
Quality Management Benefits:
- Improved understanding between management and staff related to standards and procedures
- Monitoring of compliance with food regulations
- More effective use of resources
- Reduction in the need for customer inspections
- Independent third party audits
- Ability to reduce total inspection time by combining a variety of different
- inspections at the same time.
Marketing Department Benefits:
- Improved business reputation as a supplier of high-quality and safe products
- Ability to trade with customers insisting on third party audits
- Use of the IFS logo and certifi cate to demonstrate compliance with the highest standards.